Museum Registration Internship
Carolyn Campagna Kleefeld Contemporary Art Museum of California State University, Long Beach seeks a Getty Marrow Undergraduate Intern for Summer 2021 to support museum registration and archives. Intern hours will be Monday–Friday, 8 am to 5 pm for 10 consecutive weeks. This internship will focus on the file management of digital collection images and artist and copyright research to support the museum’s goal of making our collection accessible online. The museum registrar will train the intern how to successfully use the collections management system (EmbARK) in addition to teaching the ethics, standards, and professional practices related to online collections management.
Tasks include organizing and updating digital accession records in the collections management system, an inventory of the available digital collection images, artist and copyright research, digitization of records and/or media, and other related assignments. The intern will create a manual/style guide that records all the methods, guidelines, and strategies for data entry. Great attention to detail is required; careful and precise management of data is integral to the success of this project.
- Be of a group underrepresented in professions related to museums and visual arts organizations, including but not limited to individuals of African American, Asian, Latinx/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander descent.
- Intern candidates can be from all areas of undergraduate study and are not required to have a previous commitment to the visual arts.
- Be currently enrolled as an undergraduate student (bachelor’s degree program, associate’s degree program, or a vocational or technical program below the baccalaureate level). Students must have completed at least one semester or two quarters of college by June 2021, and those who will complete their degree by September 1, 2021 are also eligible to apply. Students who are enrolled in a second BA or BS program are not eligible.
- Reside or attend college in Los Angeles County.
- Students who have previously served as Getty Marrow Undergraduate Interns at Carolyn Campagna Kleefeld Contemporary Art Museum (formerly the University Art Museum) are not eligible for consideration.
- Staff members and relatives of staff or board members are not eligible.
- Due to the extraordinary circumstances of COVID-19, students who graduated after April 1, 2020 will also be eligible to apply for Summer 2021. Candidates are not eligible if they are currently enrolled in a graduate degree program.
How To Apply
Please email the following application materials to Registrar Alyssa Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org using the subject line “Getty Marrow Registration Internship”:
- Current resume
- Cover letter describing how requirements are met, your interest in the internship, and how the internship will help further define career goals
- Name and contact information for two references (professor, past/current employer, community leader, internship supervisor, etc)
- Letters of recommendation are not required but are encouraged.
This is a paid, consecutive 10-week internship from June 14 through August 20, 2021.
This internship will be remote. Site work, if any, will be considered in strict adherence to CDC and other guidelines.
Deadline to apply is April 30, 2021 at 5:00pm. Interviews will take place May 4 through May 11, 2021 via telephone or video conference.
Contact: Alyssa Torres, Registrar, Carolyn Campagna Kleefeld Contemporary Art Museum
Email: email@example.com | Phone: (562) 985-7604